Thursday, October 18, 2012

YourSingapore (The Ultimate Singaporean Adventure) Part 3

(Here's the third and final part of a sries of blog posts about my Singapore trip last month, to attend the Spikes Asia Festival of Creativity held at the Suntec City Convention Centre. Enjoy!)

Day 1

After two days of fun-filled activities like shopping and strolling at Universal Studios, it was finally time to do what we came all the way to Singapore for: attend the Spikes Asia Conference. Held annually, the Spikes Asia Festival Creativity is one of the largest and most prestigious events in the field of advertising. It was definitely a great learning experience and I definitely encourage all aspiring marketers and advertisers to attend next year's event.




The Suntec City Convention Centre
Huge sign welcoming the delegates, mostly from the Asia-Pacific region
Inside the convention centre--the place looks amazing!
Todd Solondz, a Hollywood film director, speaking about taking risks
I just had to take a photo
Aside from listening to great lecturers consisting of the best from the industry, there were also a number of booths set up by different companies and advertising agencies to show off their works or to encourage people to collaborate or work with them. Some booths were also giving away free stuff (like magazines, juice, and drawstring bags, among others). Some of my classmates went crazy hopping from one booth to the next. 

Warning: Creative juices flowing (free bottles of juice courtesy of an advertising agency. I don't remember which one, though)
Also on display at the exhibition hall were the nominees at the Spikes Asia Awards, which was held on September 18 at the Marina Bay Sands. The best advertising and marketing campaigns from the Asia Pacific region were displayed here, and I must say I was thoroughly impressed and inspired by a lot of them. Some campaigns from the Philippines were also displayed, and some of them did win awards.

Pepsi and MyShelter Foundation's Liter of Light Project (Philippines)
The HKKAAC Pet Adoption Service (Hong Kong). Look--it's Garfield!
...and it's Snoopy!
Young, creative minds at work (at The Brand Union booth)
Coca Cola's OFW Project (Philippines). This YouTube video brought tears to people's eyes when it was uploaded last year
Witty ad from Saridon (Philippines)
This is so cool! (A unique Coca-Cola vending machine found in Singapore)
Mr. Rei Inamoto of AKQA talked about the future of advertising
At around 4:00 pm, we left Suntec and took the MRT to the regional headquarters of Unilever, where our large group (of 46 students and two teachers) was welcomed by Neil Trinidad, an alumnus of our University who is now based in Singapore and works at Unilever. He and some of his colleagues gave an interesting talk and gave us an idea on what it is like working for Unilever. It was certainly an inspiring get-together.

The sleek and modern building occupied mainly by Unilever and HSBC
The very modern Unilever Regional Headquarters (they have a Ben & Jerry's inside!)
After that interesting session at Unilever, we had another scheduled get-together with other graduates of our University who are now based in Singapore. It was another mad dash as we made our way to the Esplanade It was a long commute and a fairly long walk from the MRT station to the roof deck where the cocktails were to be held, but when we got to the place, we thought that all that running and climbing (the flights of stairs) we did was really worth it.

Behold--the beautiful Singapore skyline!
The mobile bar

Food, glorious food (most of us were so tired and hungry that we devoured everything within minutes)!
Day 2

DDB Worldwide's Amir Kassaei talking about "The Relevant Truth"
GroupM Global's Dominic Proctor
Draftfcb's Tina Manikas
Hakuhodo Kettle's Kentaro Kimura
Later that afternoon, we had another scheduled company visit, this time at JWT, ad advertising agency. It was another highly interesting talk, though I don't really think I'm inclined to work for an advertising agency. 

At the equally sleek and modern JWT office (I wasn't able to take a photo of the building nor the lobby because photography is prohibited there)
After that visit to the JWT office, we were told that we didn't have any other scheduled activities until our flight the following afternoon, so off we went to do more exploring and shopping (for the others). I would have attended the Spikes Asia Awards which was to be held that night, but I didn't really bring any formal clothes with me. So instead, I joined two other classmates at the Harry Potter Exhibit and the Andy Warhol Exhibit at the Marina Bay Sands. Tickets for both exhibits cost us $84 each.

The Harry Potter exhibit made me fel like a lost kid in a toy store! The exhibit was AMAZING! I had so much fun going through everything that was on display. It really made me feel that everything in the Harry Potter books and movies was just so real! Too bad I couldn't take any photos inside, though. Photography also wasn't allowed at the Andy Warhol exhibit, either. 

Seeing this at the MRT station already got me excited
Interesting boutique name, don't you think?
At The Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands
The flagship Louis Vuitton store

Since it was our last night in Singapore, we joined the rest of the class for some drinks at Bobby located at Chijmes, a former Catholic convent that has now become a place to eat and drink (strange, I know). I ordered a Singapore Sling (a cocktail drink invented at the historical Raffles Hotel in 1915) which Singapore is known for). It was quite expensive though, but it was really good. 

Just having a good time on our last night
It was finally time to go hoem the next day. Before checking out of the hotel, I decided to do some exploring alone. I walked over to the Bugis+ mall several blocks away (though, sadly, most stores were still closed as it was still quite early). And yes, I did that under the intense Singapore heat. I learned my lesson though, and I took the MRT back to the hotel instead.

At Changi Airport's Terminal 1
Our JetStar Asia flight back to Manila
This trip was very memorable for me. It was my first trip outside the country without my parents, and I got to visit so many places that I haven't been to on my first trip to Singapore three years ago. I had so much fun and I can't wait to be back!

Singapore, you were awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...