Sunday, April 13, 2014

A Taste of Flavors at Holiday Inn & Suites Makati

The Holiday Inn & Suites Makati, located at the Ayala Center in Makati City (right above the renovated Glorietta 2), opened its doors to guests in April 2013, adding to the roster of hotels in that area. It also provides visitors a cheaper option, since the other hotels in the area like the Makati Shangri-la, Fairmont Makati and Raffles Makati are luxury hotels and are therefore more expensive. 

Naturally, dining here is also cheaper compared to those other hotels I mentioned. At around Php1,200 per head, Flavors, the hotel's buffet restaurant, "features an exciting and contemporary buffet that will satisfy our guests' discerning palate and treat them to a sensory culinary experience", according to their description on their Facebook page.

So, was it indeed a treat to the senses? Read on and see for yourself.


The restaurant was quite empty that day. Several tables remained empty while my co-workers and I were there, so the environment was very peaceful and relaxing.


I like how the place seemed bright and airy, thanks to the large glass windows that offered a great view of the Makati skyline. Smokers (or those who just want to dine under the sunlight) could also choose to stay at the outdoor seating areas, but that area was empty when we were there since it was raining on and off that day.

Flavors, by the way, is located at the Lobby level of the Holiday Inn. To get there, we had to take the elevator going up after we entered the hotel through their entrance located along Palm Drive (which is to the left of the Glorietta 2 entrance).

Admittedly, I had already lowered my expectations prior to coming here. Based on reviews, the buffet selection here isn't as extensive as other hotel buffet restaurants, and the food isn't as good. However, I was a bit relieved that the buffet selection, while not as varied as some other places, wasn't as limited as I thought it would be. They had several stations offering a fairly decent selection of dishes. They also had a carving station, a noodle station, and even a kids' station that was appropriately decorated and had dishes like pasta and fish fingers that would appeal to children. 




For starters, I began with my usual sushi-and-maki course:


They only offered two varieties of sushi and three varieties of maki. However, they tasted good and the ingredients used were fresh. They're not exactly very attractive-looking though (to me, at least).


My first plate included dishes like Yang Chow Fried Rice, vegetable curry, crab cakes, grilled fish, potatoes, an additional piece of maki, and lamb kofta. The fried rice was too buttery for my liking and the potatoes were soggy and bland. The fish and the crab cakes were quite bland, too. The lamb kofta was pretty okay, however--not too bad for my first taste of lamb meat. 


My second plate: pancit canton and fish fingers (from the kids' station), lechon kawali, yet another piece of maki, and pita bread with hummus. I particularly liked the pita bread with hummus--they also had other types of spread but I was already getting full and I still wanted more room for dessert! #firstworldproblems

The pancit wasn't to my liking either, while the fish was "saved" by the sweet-and-sour sauce that came along with it. The lechon kawali was just your typical lechon kawali--not particularly something worth raving about.


My (only) dessert plate: an assortment of cakes, one macaron, and something that resembled a cookie with gooey caramel inside (I don't remember what it's called). The two cakes on the left as well and the caramel-filled dessert were good, although the macaron didn't appeal to me. I prefer my macarons soft (like the ones at Bizu or Chez Karine) or chewy (like at Tous Les Jours). The macarons at Holiday Inn & Suites Makato were too crunchy, crumbly and sweet.


This particular cake was...interesting (and that's putting it nicely, mind you). The bottom layer tasted bitter and the top layer was somehow both sour and sweet. I wasn't really that too keen on finishing it (I was planning on letting go it after just a bite or two) but I still ended up finishing it off. The first few bites may put you off from finishing the rest--you have been warned.

Overall, I do believe improvements can still be made, especially in terms of the taste (they're called Flavors, after all) and quality of the food they serve. The variety of dishes was acceptable, although I'm sure they can still do better. Kudos to the staff, though, for being very attentive to the guests' needs, but the lack of too many diners may also have been a big help.

Rating: 5.5/10

Flavors Restaurant
Holiday Inn & Suites Makati, Palm Drive, Ayala Center, Makati City
Tel. 909-0888

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...