Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Just Desserts: Morelli's Gelato


Christmas was a little bit different for my family this year. These last few Christmases were usually spent in Bohol, where we would spend the holidays with our relatives on my mom's side of the family. This year, however, it was just my mom and brother who were able to go, since I had to stay behind because of work (I started working for a corporation in Makati just last month). My dad, too, decided to stay behind to keep me company. So for Christmas Eve, my dad and I just had a simple dinner at home--no Cebu Lechon (which we'd always have in Bohol), no chicharon, no fruit salad, no nuthin'. 

Even before my mom and brother left for Bohol, we had already made plans to have lunch out after we pick them up from the airport on Christmas Day. After we picked them up, we headed to the Power Plant Mall in Makati for lunch, though I won't really be blogging about that anymore, since the restaurant we ate in wasn't anything really new for us, and I've already blogged about it in the past..

For dessert, we decided to try out Morelli's Gelato, which traces its roots to the UK where it was established in 1907 by an Italian immigrant named Giuseppe Morelli. Today, Morelli's Gelato is present in several countries including the Philippines, where it opened its first shop at the Power Plant Mall in late-2012. Morelli's was franchised by Global Restaurant Concepts Inc., the same company which brought foreign restaurant chains like IHOP, P.F. Chang's, and California Pizza Kitchen to the Philippines.


Morelli's first branch is located at  the Ground Level of the Power Plant Mall, at the same floor where the upscale shops are. It isn't that hard to find, really--the large signage of the shop can be spotted even from a distance.

They have a pretty decent selection of flavors, although many of their flavors (like Mango and Strawberry) are a bit on the safe side. I wish they had more quirky flavors to choose from, just like some other gelato shops. Still, their gelato looks great, and I couldn't choose a flavor right away. They all look so good!

My brother settled for a cup of Strawberry gelato. A single cup costs P120, which isn't so bad considering this is a European brand. I was honestly expecting it to be more expensive (like above P150).

My dad likes eating fruits so he chose the Melon-flavored one.

My mom choose a rather unique one: Bacia. This is a mixture of chocolate and different kinds of nuts. 

I ended up with the Tiramisu-flavored one, which seemed to be one of the more "unique" flavors they have. "Boring" flavors like Mango or Strawberry are out of the question for me, except maybe for ordinary ice cream which you can buy in supermarkets or convenience stores.

Overall, I'd give Morelli's Gelato a thumbs up. Though I wish they had more to choose from in terms of quirkier flavors, their gelato is still really good and of high quality, and at a (fairly) reasonable price, too. If you're looking to satisfy your sweet tooth cravings, then Morelli's Gelato is a good place to visit!

Morelli's Gelato
R1, Power Plant Mall, Rockwell Center, Makati City
Operating Hours: Monday-Thursday: 11:00 am-9:00 pm; Friday: 11:00 am-10:00 pm; Saturday: 10:00 am-10:00 pm; Sunday: 10:00 am-9:00 pm.
Other branch: East Wing, Shangri-la Plaza, Mandaluyong City
Website: morellisgelato.ph
Facebook: Morelli's Gelato PH

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...