Sunday, April 6, 2014

Good Noodle: Kanzhu Hand-Pulled Noodles

Lately, I've been persuading my family to be more open to trying out different restaurants. My parents are usually more comfortable dining at restaurants that are already tried and tested, and being the blogger that I am, I would usually be the one to drag my family to eat someplace different. 

Just over the weekend, we tried out Kanzhu Hand-Pulled Noodles at the SM Supercenter in Pasig City. Curiously, that place has been around for a few years now and we've always been doing our almost-weekly grocery shopping at the SM Supercenter, but the thought of eating here as never actually crossed our minds. 


Normally the place would be full of people, (especially during the peak hours). Strangely, the restaurant wasn't so full that day, considering it was lunch time on a Saturday. We were lucky to have scored a table in a little corner of the restaurant, giving us a bit of privacy. 


The restaurant, by the way, is located just across the Classic Savory restaurant which I've blogged about back in December 2013 (check out my review of Classic Savory here). 

Moving on, we decided to start off our meal with their 5-in-1 Appetizer Sampler (Php240), which includes Sliced Beef, Beef Tendon, Black Fungus with Jellyfish, Century Egg and Seasoned Carrots. Unfortunately, they had run out of Century Egg so we were informed that they would instead be adding more Black Fungus to the platter to replace the Century Egg. Umm, yeah. Sure.

Our not-so-5-in-1 (4-in-1?) starter platter. In terms of taste I could barely tell them apart, probably because of the sauce they used.


The jellyfish meat was interesting, though. Spongebob Squarepants would not approve. Also, if you don't get the Spongebob Squarepants reference in the title, you missed a part of your childhood.


The Pork Siomai (Php90) was...okay. Nothing too special about it, though


On the other hand, I think their Shrimp Hakaw (Php125) deserves some love. I give it a thumbs up! It was very tasty and juicy--much different from the dry Hakaw I've had in some other Chinese restaurants. It was also packed with filling so it doesn't break apart that easily, even after you've already taken a bite. I love it!


My mom, brother and I each had a bowl of Braised Beef Noodle Soup (Php165) which is one of their signature dishes.


The noodles that are served at Kanzhu Hand-Pulled Noodles are meticulously prepared by hand (well, duh). If you look inside the kitchen through the glass, you will be able to see how much effort the chefs put into making sure that the noodles meet certain standards. 

As a result, the noodles are firm and thick. The broth too, was very flavorful and tasted authentic (my mom said it reminded her of Hong Kong), and the beef chunks were cooked just right--not too tough but not too soft, either.

This dish was amazing even on a hot summer day--imagine how perfect it would be on a rainy day!

Kanzhu Hand-Pulled Noodles
G/F, SM Supercenter, Frontera Verde, Pasig City
Other branches: Timog, San Juan, Marcos Highway and SM City Manila

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...