Wednesday, January 25, 2012

"Opus Was So Packed Last Night" and Other Conyo-isms

T

Are you craving for Happy Lemon right now? Are you tweeting about this craving on your new, 15-inch, MacBook Pro, while talking to your friend on your new iPhone 4s? Well then, you might want to take a look at this video.

On January 20, 2012 YouTube user SirKevinMartin posted a video called "Shit Spoiled Filipino Teenagers Say", a reference to the popular "Shit Girls Say" and "Shit Black Girls Say" videos which were uploaded on YouTube last month. This time, though, SirKevinMartin makes fun of the so-called conyo, or the typical Filipino rich kid, by imitating what you might expect a typical Filipino conyo to say--and I must say, he did a pretty good job.

It's not so much about how he says it (he doesn't really pull off the conyo accent or diction that perfectly), but it's more about what he says. Being exposed to these types of people on a regular basis (and by that, I mean, almost daily), I pretty much have an idea on what these people say a lot, based from what I hear from them or read on my Twitter and Facebook news feeds. I just had a feeling that someone would make a video like this, and several BlackBerry Messenger (BBM), Fiamma Fresh Fridays and Happy Lemon Twitter and FB posts by my Twitter and Facebook contacts later, this video comes along. While not everything here seems accurate (I mean, how could you not want to go to Japan or Australia?), I still actually had a good laugh watching the video, even if I do find myself guilty of occasionally wanting to grab a drink at Happy Lemon (there's a Happy Lemon store at SM Megamall, though--so, HA!).

Response to this video has been mostly positive--as of this posting it has had 35,786 views and counting. Comments, too, have generally been positive, such as "I hear these lines in school everyday! :)) So funny! :))" Some have even been clamoring for a follow-up video. 

Now excuse me while I go book a Business Class ticket to Australia--the kangaroos await.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...